May 23, 2014

Beet salsa

Ben and I had his family over for dinner tonight.  Great time, great food, great company... Perfect kick-off to the unofficial start of summer! 

We went to Haymarket this morning and stocked up on the usual suspects, including beets.  The Meade's love beets, and I was pretty pumped to get rid of my cooking rut!  I made a huge batch of my inaugural beet salsa to have leftovers to bring to the lake this weekend, so I've halved my actual recipe for you.

What's in the fridge
2 1/2 large beets
1/4 bag baby carrots (about 2 handfuls)
2 sprigs of mint, chopped
1/4 container crumbled goat cheese
Balsamic glaze or dressing

Directions
- Boil beets until you can easily pierce them with a fork (like you would potatoes).  Cut them into bite size pieces first to save on cooking time.
- Meanwhile, chop up carrots in food processor.

Carrots post food processor
Cooked beets
- Let the beets cool to room temperature then mix together with the carrots, mint and goat cheese.

- Serve with a balsamic glaze or dressing 




Served with lamb burgers.  Helpful hint: double count your guests before making and serving the burgers! :-/
The Meade's!
Bon appétit!

No comments:

Post a Comment